Rotary wing aircraft/Related Articles
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- See also changes related to Rotary wing aircraft, or pages that link to Rotary wing aircraft or to this page or whose text .
- Helicopter : Aircraft with one or more power-driven horizontal rotors, each rotor consisting of two or more rotor blades, that enable it to take off and land vertically, move in any direction, or remain stationary in the air.
- Autogyro : Add brief definition or description
- Tilt-rotor aircraft : Add brief definition or description
Applications and types
- Air assault : Military operations in which infantry are carried by aircraft onto, or very near, the target, or by parachuting. The aircraft may be helicopters, tilt-rotor aircraft, short-landing transports, or, historically, gliders.
- Battle of the Ia Drang : First divisional-scale battle involving helicopter-borne air assault troops, with U.S. forces against those of North Vietnam
- Battle of Bong Son : First battle, in the Vietnam War, involving combat by a reinforced helicopter-borne division, with all elements in combat at the same time.
- Vietnam War ground technology : Military technology in support of ground operations, including helicopters and air assault, either associated with or introduced in Vietnam, between 1962 and 1975
- Air mobility : The set of disciplines, resources and techniques required for the rapid air movement of military forces and their equipment. Air assault, in which the air movement takes troops into battle, is a subset.
- Armed helicopter : A helicopter that can be configured to carry troops or cargo only, light weapons and troops, or possibly a heavier ammunition load with still-removable weapons.
- Attack helicopter : A helicopter equipped with built-in heavy weapons, which has no standard cargo capacity and is used as a "flying tank" in close air support or battlefield air interdiction.
- Combat search and rescue : The location and rescue of military and civilian personnel in hostile areas, such that a military operation is necessary to retrieve them
- Search and rescue : The location of those in distress from natural, accidental, or hostile causes; on-scene medical stabilization and extrication; evacuation to treatment or other safe facilities
- AH-1 Cobra : The first purpose-built U.S. attack helicopter, introduced by the U.S. Army in the Vietnam War; the U.S. Marine Corps still operates a much-modified version
- AH-64 Apache : A United States Army attack helicopter capable of day/night missions in all weather.
- Alouette (helicopter) : French utility and light military helicopters
- CH-47 Chinook : Medium transport helicopter developed by the U.S. Army and used by a wide range of countries
- CH-53 Sea Stallion : A heavy helicopter originally developed by the U.S. Navy for supporting Marine amphibious operations and Naval logistics, it remains the core of heavy lift for amphibious warfare, but has spawned combat search and rescue (HH-53), minesweeping (RH-53) and special operations (MH-53 PAVE LOW) variants
- Eurocopter Tiger : Made by EADS, a light attack helicopter, used for armed reconnaissance, for countries including Australia, France, Germany and Spain
- Gazelle helicopter : A French medium helicopter, used in civilian, military transport, and attack helicopter configurations
- H-60 helicopter : A family of light transport helicopters used by the U.S. services, including the standard troop carrier UH-60 Blackhawk, naval rescue and surface/subsurface warfare, and the MH-60 special operations variant that is not really a Black Helicopter but instead very, very dark gray
- MH-53 PAVE LOW : A U.S. Air Force Special Operations Command long-range heavy helicopter, with all-weather and night capability, used for combat search and rescue, guiding other helicopters without equivalent night and navigation equipment, and infiltrating, exfiltrating, and supplying special operations personnel
- Mi-28 (helicopter) : Add brief definition or description
- MQ-8 : Add brief definition or description
- OH-58 Kiowa Warrior : Add brief definition or description
- Super Frelon helicopter : Add brief definition or description
- V-22 Osprey : Add brief definition or description