From Citizendium
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article is developing and not approved.
Main Article
Related Articles  [?]
Bibliography  [?]
External Links  [?]
Citable Version  [?]
To learn how to update the categories for this article, see here. To update categories, edit the metadata template.
 Definition A device used to move fluids, such as liquids or slurries, from a lower pressure to a higher pressure adding energy to the system to overcome the difference in pressure. [d] [e]
Checklist and Archives
 Workgroup categories Physics and Engineering [Categories OK]
 Subgroup category:  Chemical Engineering
 Talk Archive none  English language variant American English

Needs conversion from WP article to CZ article

This page needs CZ-conversion from WP article David E. Volk 11:12, 11 May 2008 (CDT)

I just made a good many revisions to convert this article from a WP article (status=4) to a developing CZ article (status=2). In doing so, I made every effort not to remove any of the really useful content. I expanded the Definition subpage, moved the links in the WP "Further reading section" into the CZ "External Links" section, deleted the WP "Kinetic pumps" section which was too cryptic and added no useful content, made some minor copy edits, rewording and deleted a few unneeded sentences, and deleted the blank place-holders for photos and images that were not ported along with the article.
I took a quick look at all of the WP photos and images to see if I could easily upload them to CZ ... and it seemed to me that they could not be ported to CZ very easily (if at all) and stay within the CZ requirements for importing photos and images. What is needed is for some of us in CZ to locate and upload some relevant photos and drawings.
Based on the revisions that I made, I upgraded the article status to a "Developing article" (status=1). Milton Beychok 14:34, 8 August 2008 (CDT)

what about gases?

I'm prepared (for once) to defer to people who know better, but shouldn't the definition include gases? -Derek Hodges 01:50, 19 February 2010 (UTC)

Hi, Derek: There is a separate article called Gas compressor. We engineers tend use "pumps" for devices that move liquids which are essentially incompressible fluids .... and "compressors" for devices that move gases which are compressible fluids. Take a look at the Gas compressor article. I hope this clarifies the difference for you. Regards, Milton Beychok 02:34, 19 February 2010 (UTC)
I mentioned gas compressors have similarities to pumps in the Pump intro. Henry A. Padleckas 05:13, 27 February 2011 (UTC)