John Rodney Moffett, Ph.D.
Southampton College of LIU, B.S. 1977 - Biology
Southampton College of LIU, B.A. 1977 - Biopsychology
CA State U. Sacramento, 1977-1982 - Neuroscience
Georgetown University, Ph.D. 1988 - Neurobiology
Georgetown University Predoctoral Fellowship, Sep. 1982 to Jan. 1987. Research Associate, Biology Dept., Georgetown Univ., Feb. 1988 to Jan. 1990. Assistant Research Prof., Biology Dept., Georgetown Univ., Jan 1990 to Jan. 1997. Associate Research Prof., Biology Dept., Georgetown Univ., 1/30/97 9/30/98. Sole Proprietor of a small computer sales company, Oct 1998 to Sept 2001. Research Scientist, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Sept 2001 to Sept 2002. Research Scientist, Uniformed Services University, Bethesda MD Sept 2002 to present.
Technical consultant, Time Life Books: “Mind and Brain” (1993) and “The Medical Advisor” (1996).
Chief Editor: Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, volume 576, 2006; “N-Acetylaspartate: A Unique Neuronal Molecule in the Central Nervous System”. Primary author on 20 peer-reviewed research articles in Neuroscience and Immunology (contributing author on an additional 26 peer-reviewed journal articles).
Neuroscience, Neurobiology, Neuroanatomy, Comparative Neurology, Theories of Brain Function, Neurochemistry, Immunohistochemistry.
General Biology, Immunology, Evolution, Paleontology, Origin of Life, Cell Biology, Bioenergetics, Lipid Biology, Neuroendocrinology, Anatomy, Histology, Behavior, Biochemistry, Systems Biology, Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy. REFERENCES
1. K.J.Anderson, M.A.Borja, C.W.Cotman, J.R.Moffett, M.A.Namboodiri, and J.H.Neale. "N-acetylaspartylglutamate identified in the rat retinal ganglion cells and their projections in the brain." Brain Research 411,(1987):172-77.
2. P.Arun, C.N.Madhavarao, J.R.Hershfield, J.R.Moffett, and M.A.Namboodiri. "SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cells: a model system for studying biosynthesis of NAAG." Neuroreport 15, no. 7(May 2004):1167-70.
3. P.Arun, J.R.Moffett, J.Ives, T.Todorov, J.A.Centeno, M.A.Namboodiri, and W.B.Jonas. "Rapid sodium cyanide depletion in cell culture media: Outgassing of hydrogen cyanide at physiological pH." Anal.Biochem. 339,(2005):282-89.
4. P.Arun, C.N.Madhavarao, J.R.Moffett, and A.M.Namboodiri. "Regulation of N-acetylaspartate and N-acetylaspartylglutamate biosynthesis by protein kinase activators." Journal of Neurochemistry 98, no. 6(2006):2034-42.
5. R.Berti, A.J.Williams, J.R.Moffett, S.L.Hale, L.C.Velarde, P.J.Elliott, C.Yao, J.R.Dave, and F.C.Tortella. "Quantitative real-time RT-PCR analysis of inflammatory gene expression associated with ischemia-reperfusion brain injury." J.Cereb.Blood Flow Metab 22, no. 9(September 2002):1068-79.
6. R.Berti, A.J.Williams, L.C.Velarde, J.R.Moffett, P.J.Elliott, J.Adams, C.Yao, J.R.Dave, and F.C.Tortella. "Effect of the proteasome inhibitor MLN519 on the expression of inflammatory molecules following middle cerebral artery occlusion and reperfusion in the rat." Neurotox.Res. 5, no. 7(2003):505-14.
7. J.R.Dave, A.J.Williams, J.R.Moffett, M.L.Koenig, and F.C.Tortella. "Studies on neuronal apoptosis in primary forebrain cultures: neuroprotective/anti-apoptotic action of NR2B NMDA antagonists." Neurotox.Res. 5, no. 4(2003):255-64.
8. J.R.Dave, C.Yao, J.R.Moffett, R.Berti, M.Koenig, and F.C.Tortella. "Down regulation of sodium channel Na(v)1.1 expression by veratridine and its reversal by a novel sodium channel blocker, RS100642, in primary neuronal cultures." Neurotox.Res. 5, no. 3(2003):213-20.
9. M.G.Espey, J.R.Moffett, and M.A.Namboodiri. "Temporal and spatial changes of quinolinic acid immunoreactivity in the immune system of lipopolysaccharide-stimulated mice." J Leukoc.Biol. 57, no. 2(1995):199-206.
10. M.G.Espey, Y.Tang, H.C.3.Morse, J.R.Moffett, and M.A.Namboodiri. "Localization of quinolinic acid in the murine AIDS model of retrovirus-induced immunodeficiency: implications for neurotoxicity and dendritic cell immunopathogenesis." AIDS 10, no. 2(1996):151-58.
11. J.Hershfield, C.N.Madhavarao, J.R.Moffett, J.A.Benjamins, J.Y.Garbern, and M.A.Namboodiri. "Aspartoacylase is a regulated nuclear-cytoplasmic enzyme." FASEB J. 20, no. 12(2006):2139-41.
12. M.Hill, S.Tanguy-Royer, P.Royer, C.Chauveau, K.Asghar, L.Tesson, F.Lavainne, S.Remy, R.Brion, F.X.Hubert, M.Heslan, M.Rimbert, L.Berthelot, J.R.Moffett, R.Josien, M.Gregoire, and I.Anegon. "IDO expands human CD4(+)CD25(high) regulatory T cells by promoting maturation of LPS-treated dendritic cells." European Journal of Immunology 37, no. 11(November 2007):3054-62.
13. C.N.Madhavarao, J.R.Moffett, R.A.Moore, R.E.Viola, M.A.Namboodiri, and D.M.Jacobowitz. "Immunohistochemical localization of aspartoacylase in the rat central nervous system." J.Comp Neurol. 472, no. 3(May 2004):318-29.
14. C.N.Madhavarao, P.Arun, J.R.Moffett, S.Szucs, S.Surendran, R.Matalon, J.Garbern, D.Hristova, A.Johnson, W.Jiang, and M.A.Namboodiri. "Defective N-acetylaspartate catabolism reduces brain acetate levels and myelin lipid synthesis in Canavan's disease." Proc.Natl.Acad.Sci.U.S.A 102, no. 14(April 2005):5221-26.
15. C.N.Madhavarao and A.M.Namboodiri. "NAA synthesis and functional roles." In N-Acetylaspartate: A Unique Neuronal Molecule in the Central Nervous System, eds., J.R.Moffett, S.B.Tieman, D.R.Weinberger, J.T.Coyle, and M.A.Namboodiri, pp. 49-66. New York, NY: Springer Science + Business Media, 2006.
16. J.R.Moffett, M.Cassidy, and M.A.Namboodiri. "Selective distribution of N-acetylaspartylglutamate immunoreactivity in the extrapyramidal system of the rat." Brain Research 494,(1989):255-66.
17. J.R.Moffett, M.A.Namboodiri, and J.H.Neale. "Two forms of the GABAA receptor distinguished by anion-exchange chromatography." FEBS Letters 247,(1989):81-85.
18. J.R.Moffett, L.C.Williamson, M.Palkovits, and M.A.Namboodiri. "N-acetylaspartylglutamate: a transmitter candidate for the retinohypothalamic tract." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 87,(1990):8065-69.
19. J.R.Moffett, M.A.Namboodiri, C.B.Cangro, and J.H.Neale. "Immunohistochemical localization of N-acetylaspartate in rat brain." Neuroreport 2,(1991):131-34.
20. J.R.Moffett, L.C.Williamson, J.H.Neale, M.Palkovits, and M.A.Namboodiri. "Effect of optic nerve transection on N-acetylaspartylglutamate immunoreactivity in the primary and accessory optic projection systems in the rat." Brain Research 538,(1991):86-94.
21. J.R.Moffett, M.G.Espey, S.J.Gaudet, and M.A.Namboodiri. "Antibodies to quinolinic acid reveal localization in select immune cells rather than neurons or astroglia." Brain Research 623,(1993):337-40.
22. J.R.Moffett, M.A.Namboodiri, and J.H.Neale. "Enhanced carbodiimide fixation for immunohistochemistry: Application to the comparative distributions of N-acetylaspartylglutamate and N-acetylaspartate immunoreactivities in rat brain." Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry 41,(1993):559-70.
23. J.R.Moffett, M.G.Espey, K.Saito, and M.A.Namboodiri. "Quinolinic acid immunoreactivity in cells within the choroid plexus, leptomeninges and brain vasculature of the immune stimulated gerbil." Journal of Neuroimmunology 54,(1994):69-73.
24. J.R.Moffett, M.G.Espey, and M.A.Namboodiri. "Antibodies to quinolinic acid and the determination of its cellular distribution within the rat immune system." Cell and Tissue Research 278, no. 3(1994):461-69.
25. J.R.Moffett, M.Palkovits, M.A.Namboodiri, and J.H.Neale. "Comparative distribution of N-acetylaspartylglutamate and GAD67 immunoreactivities in the cerebellum and precerebellar nuclei of the rat utilizing enhanced carbodiimide fixation and immunohistochemistry." Journal of Comparative Neurology 347, no. 4(1994):598-618.
26. J.R.Moffett and M.A.Namboodiri. "Differential distribution of N-acetylaspartylglutamate and N- acetylaspartate immunoreactivities in rat forebrain." Journal of Neurocytology 24,(1995):409-33.
27. J.R.Moffett, T.Els, M.G.Espey, S.A.Walter, W.J.Streit, and M.A.Namboodiri. "Quinolinate immunoreactivity in experimental rat brain tumors is present in macrophages but not in astrocytes." Experimental Neurology 144,(1997):287-301.
28. J.R.Moffett, K.L.Blinder, C.N.Venkateshan, and M.A.Namboodiri. "Differential effects of kynurenine and tryptophan treatment on quinolinate immunoreactivity in rat lymphoid and non-lymphoid organs." Cell Tissue Res. 293, no. 3(September 1998):525-34.
29. J.R.Moffett, R.A.Price, S.M.Anderson, M.L.Sipos, A.V.Moran, F.C.Tortella, and J.R.Dave. "DNA fragmentation in leukocytes following subacute low-dose nerve agent exposure." Cell Mol.Life Sci. 60, no. 10(October 2003):2266-71.
30. J.R.Moffett and M.A.Namboodiri. "Tryptophan and the immune response." Immunol.Cell Biol. 81, no. 4(August 2003):247-65.
31. J.R.Moffett. "Reductions in N-acetylaspartylglutamate and the 67 kDa form of glutamic acid decarboxylase immunoreactivities in the visual system of albino and pigmented rats after optic nerve transections." J.Comp Neurol. 458, no. 3(April 2003):221-39.
32. J.R.Moffett and A.M.Namboodiri. "Preface: a brief review of N-acetylaspartate." In N-Acetylaspartate: A Unique Neuronal Molecule in the Central Nervous System, eds., J.R.Moffett, S.B.Tieman, D.R.Weinberger, J.T.Coyle, and M.A.Namboodiri, pp. vii-xiii. New York, NY: Springer Science + Business Media, 2006.
33. J.R.Moffett, S.B.Tieman, D.R.Weinberger, J.T.Coyle, and M.A.Namboodiri. N-Acetylaspartate: A Unique Neuronal Molecule in the Central Nervous System, New York, NY: Springer Science + Business Media, 2006.
34. J.R.Moffett and M.A.Namboodiri. "Expression of N-acetylaspartate and N-acetylaspartylglutamate in the nervous system." In N-Acetylaspartate: A Unique Neuronal Molecule in the Central Nervous System, eds., J.R.Moffett, S.B.Tieman, D.R.Weinberger, J.T.Coyle, and M.A.Namboodiri, pp. 7-26. New York, NY: Springer Science + Business Media, 2006.
35. J.R.Moffett, P.Arun, and M.A.Namboodiri. "Laboratory research in homeopathy: con." Integr.Cancer Ther. 5, no. 4(December 2006):333-42.
36. J.R.Moffett, B.Ross, P.Arun, C.N.Madhavarao, and A.M.Namboodiri. "N-Acetylaspartate in the CNS: From neurodiagnostics to neurobiology." Prog.Neurobiol. 81, no. 2(January 2007):89-131.
37. M.A.Namboodiri, H.M.Valivullah, and J.R.Moffett. "Regulation of melatonin synthesis in the ovine pineal gland." Adv.Exp.Med.Biol. 294,(1991):137-48.
38. M.A.Namboodiri, C.N.Venkateshan, R.Narayanan, K.Blinder, J.R.Moffett, D.C.Gajdusek, M.Gravell, and C.J.Gibbs, Jr. "Increased quinolinate immunoreactivity in the peripheral blood monocytes/macrophages from SIV-infected monkeys." J.Neurovirol. 2, no. 6(1996):433-38.
39. M.A.Namboodiri, J.R.Moffett, P.Arun, R.Mathew, S.Namboodiri, A.Potti, J.Hershfield, B.Kirmani, D.M.Jacobowitz, and C.N.Madhavarao. "Defective myelin lipid synthesis as a pathogenic mechanism of Canavan disease." In N-Acetylaspartate: A Unique Neuronal Molecule in the Central Nervous System, eds., J.R.Moffett, S.B.Tieman, D.R.Weinberger, J.T.Coyle, and M.A.Namboodiri, pp. 145-163. New York, NY: Springer Science + Business Media, 2006.
40. M.A.Namboodiri, A.Peethambaran, R.Mathew, P.A.Sambhu, J.Hershfield, J.R.Moffett, and C.N.Madhavarao. "Canavan disease and the role of N-acetylaspartate in myelin synthesis." Mol.Cell Endocrinol. 252,(April 2006):216-23.
41. L.F.Pacheco Otalora, J.R.Moffett, and E.R.Garrido-Sanabria. "Selective vulnerability of hippocampal NAAGergic neurons in experimental temporal lobe epilepsy." Brain Research(February 2007).
42. P.H.Roseboom, J.L.Weller, T.Babila, A.Aitken, L.A.Sellers, J.R.Moffett, M.A.Namboodiri, and D.C.Klein. "Cloning and characterization of the epsilon and zeta isoforms of the 14-3-3 proteins." DNA and Cell Biology 13,(1994):629-40.
43. S.B.Tieman, J.R.Moffett, and S.M.Irtenkauf. "Effect of eye removal on N-acetylaspartylglutamate immunoreactivity in retinal targets of the cat." Brain Research 562,(1991):318-22.
44. C.N.Venkateshan, R.Narayanan, M.G.Espey, J.R.Moffett, D.C.Gajdusek, C.J.Gibbs, and M.A.Namboodiri. "Immunocytochemical localization of the endogenous neuroexcitotoxin quinolinate in human peripheral blood monocytes/macrophages and the effect of human T-cell lymphotropic virus type I infection." Proc.Natl.Acad.Sci.U.S.A 93,(1996):1636-41.
45. A.J.Williams, S.L.Hale, J.R.Moffett, J.R.Dave, P.J.Elliott, J.Adams, and F.C.Tortella. "Delayed treatment with MLN519 reduces infarction and associated neurologic deficit caused by focal ischemic brain injury in rats via antiinflammatory mechanisms involving nuclear factor-kappaB activation, gliosis, and leukocyte infiltration." J.Cereb.Blood Flow Metab 23, no. 1(January 2003):75-87.
46. A.J.Williams, G.Ling, R.Berti, J.R.Moffett, C.Yao, X.M.Lu, J.R.Dave, and F.C.Tortella. "Treatment with the snail peptide CGX-1007 reduces DNA damage and alters gene expression of c-fos and bcl-2 following focal ischemic brain injury in rats." Experimental Brain Research 153, no. 1(November 2003):16-26.
47. L.C.Williamson, D.A.Eagles, M.J.Brady, J.R.Moffett, M.A.Namboodiri, and J.H.Neale. "Localization and synaptic release of N-acetylaspartylglutamate in the chick retina and optic tectum." European Journal of Neuroscience 3,(1991):441-51.